REVERSE ENGINEERING SERVICES
What Is Reverse Engineering ?
Reverse Engineering refers to the process of re-creating design drawings by taking measurements and/or scans of the part itself. It’s a simple, 2 step process :
Scan the object
Create a 3D model of the object
How Is Reverse Engineering Different Than 3D Scanning ?
From scan data (Before & After)
The process of creating a CAD model for reverse engineering services requires some understanding of the original designer’s thought process.
For example, one must make assumptions about whether a part is supposed to be symmetrical or perfectly round in shape. With reverse engineering, the goal is often to produce a CAD model of very high quality surfaces, or “idealized”, where faces are perfectly flat, holes are perfectly round and surfaces are all seamlessly blended into one another.
This makes it easier to create feature-based models along with dimension-ed 2D drawings. This is different than “as-built” modelling, where the goal is to intentionally model a part’s flaws wherever they exist.
Why Utilize Reverse Engineering Services ?
Common reasons include:
- To make a part or other item cheaper
- Replicate a one-of-a-kind part
- Analyze a competitor’s product
- Create machining drawings for a handmade prototype
- Create a nominal model to be compared against for inspection
- Make changes and improvements to a product’s design
- Preserve and document handmade molds & obsolete parts
- Blueprint parts for government certification
- Create the mold for a part
What Can You Do With A 3D Model Created By Reverse Engineering Services ?
Because of the high quality models produced during the reverse engineering process, the models happen to be very versatile. Among the many things that are possible:
- Machining & molding
- 3D printing
- Making changes to the design
- Patent drawings
- Exploded 3D visualizations and animations
- Comparisons with other parts or scans
- Can be used to design mating parts or packaging
- Drawings can be sent overseas for manufacturing instead of the part